Thursday, April 22, 2010

I am: Facebook-less



I am different because....


I am Facebook-less.





That's right! I have a face. And books. Only one face, but multiple books, and no Facebook. Nuh-uh. Once, before, when the sound of dinosaurs nibbling on leaves permeated the land. But I quit. After a week.

Yes, I know. I'm a social-networking alien. Get your magnifying glasses and examine me all you want: There is nothing wrong with me.

It's you, not me.

You may be thinking: "Well, surely you must use something else. MySpace? LinkedIn? Twitter? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU WOMAN?!"

That's right, stranger. I don't use any social networking sites.

Now, that being said, I do own a Twitter and a LinkedIn account. However, we were forced to make these for school since advertisers embrace anything that is taking hold of the majority of the population, like social networking sites.

That being said, I do not actually use Twitter or LinkedIn. I probably will once I enter the workforce.

Still, I will never own a Facebook account.

Much of my motivation comes from the fact that I simply want to stand out like a yellow crayon in a box of black crayons.

But there are other reasons:

1. Facebook is a time-sucker.

Yeah, I saw that wince. You know I'm right. Think of all the things you have to do on Facebook: Update! - posts, photos, videos. Tag! - In your own photos, and see all the photos in which you've been tagged. Comment! - On, well, anytime a friend updates anything. Join! - Fan pages, Groups. Play! - Farmville, anyone?

Think: How many hours a week does Facebook take up of your time? What else could you do with that time?

I suggest read a book. You're already reading all the comments people post, might as well simply switch to reading something useful. [grins]

2. Facebook is damn addictive.

This is a major reason why it is such a time-sucker. And you know, with things like Starbucks floating around at every corner, I really don't need to feed yet another addiction. Please, keep possible addictions like Facebook away from me! xD

3. Facebook can ruin relationships.

No, I do not mean when someone breaks up with another person by changing their relationship status to "Single." In this case, Facebook didn't ruin the relationship. Likely, it was already done and over with. Facebook was just the push that send it over the cliff.

What I mean is the fact that people use Facebook - technology in general but Facebook especially - as a means to scope out a relationship. For example, a good friend of mine was interested in a guy. She was confused as to whether or not he had a girlfriend. She concluded that they had recently broken up because "His relationship status changed to 'It's complicated.'"

I mean, whatever happened to asking someone "Hey, you single?" - And I don't mean asking over Facebook, you coward!

Honestly, what kind of a relationship is based off of a status on a social networking site? Needless to say, my friend and that guy never made it anywhere.

---

So there you have it!

A freak who avoids Facebook.

Do you have a Facebook account or are you a freak and different, just like me? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment