Sunday, April 11, 2010

I am: A Virgin



I am different because

I am a virgin.




It seems defiant to make such a profound statement on my third post. But hey, it really makes me different. Consider:

--I am a college student.
--There is nothing physically grotesque about me. (I know.. It's difficult to believe somebody on the internet does not weight 300 lbs. xD)
--Moreover, I have had a long-term relationship with my boyfriend for nearing 3 years now.

Yet, I am a virgin. And so is he.

It begs the question: Why be a virgin? No, not until I'm 40 years old. Just until marriage. And why is this not a cliche?

First, why wait? Here are a few reasons:

1. When both parties wait to have sex, there is absolutely NO worry of contracting an STD.

Does this sound like a text book? Well, let's put it this way: 1 in 3 Canadians under the age of 25 have an STD. That means if you sleep with just three people, one of them will have an STD. Which means you might have an STD. For. The. Rest. Of. Your. Life. With odds like that, you couldn't pay me to have sex! (Pun intended. xD)

2. Because I have chosen to wait, I never have to worry about late periods.

Again, sound like a text book? Girls, if you're not on the pill, think of the last time your period was late. Probably, it was late because you were stressed out. It happens. Now, if you're sexually active, how many times does your brain think "Did I or did I not wear that condom? What if it broke? Did he put it on right? Holy ----, what if I'm pregnant?"

If you don't think like this because you're stressed out anyway, you're either in denial, or some sort of a Super Woman. :)

3. Because I have chosen to wait, I don't have to explain myself to my parents.

This is a big one. (That's what she said. xD) Most people don't want to think of their parents "doing it." Well, guess what Sherlock? Your parents probably don't want to think you of you "doing it" either. However, when you wait until marriage, there is no explanation necessary. Your parents don't ask, they don't raise their eyebrows when you're on your way out to meet your boy/girlfriend, and most importantly, they don't judge you. Why? Because you're married. THAT'S WHY.

4. I don't have to worry about my drunken hookups following my reputation.

I think that says it all.

5. Your relationship with your boy/girlfriend improves when you both choose to wait.

Find it hard to believe that sex doesn't actually improve relationships? Don't. Any sort of intimacy puts expectation on you - I have to please him/her.

But, when you put sex on hold, you have all the time in the world to focus on what really matters in a relationship. When you're together several times a week but you're not getting physical, you talk - really, really talk. You get to know who the person is - what they think, how they act, how they treat others. This makes you appreciate each other and most importantly, it helps you build what it takes to make a relationship last - communication that works.

6. You know a person really loves you when they're willing to wait months, and even years to have sex with you.

Marriage is the ultimate commitment. When someone is willing to show that they're truly committed to you and to making it last before they have sex with you, you know they really love you. After all, actions speak louder than words.

7. The sex will be better.

How do I know this if I haven't had it? Simple common sense. When neither my boyfriend and I have had sex, we don't have any expectations of each other to "last" or to "outdo" previous partners. It'll just be a moment to enjoy - which is exactly what it should be.

Also, read any article on how to improve your sex life and it'll basically tell you that the key to great sex is communication. Well, do you remember what I said we do instead of having sex? That's right - communicating.

--

Well, there you have it. Not one, not two, but seven reasons to wait. Is this not enough reasons to also prove that waiting is not a cliche?

(Note: This blog is in now way intended to bring down those who have chosen to have sex prior to marriage. It merely explains why I have chosen not do so.)

If I wanted to, I could have sex. But I choose not to. This is what makes me different.

If you make the same choice, you'll be different just like me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment